Posts Tagged ‘Brasília Palace Hotel’

  • Brasília Palace Hotel

    Jul 5, 18 • Marion • Gastronomia, History, TopicsNo CommentsRead More »

    The Brasília Palace Hotel was the second building to be finalized in the new capital. Contruction works started in September 1957 and the hotel, originally named Hotel de Turismo, was inaugurated on June 30, 1958, the same day as the Palácio do Planalto. At that time, it had been decided that no other building of the new capital could be inaugurated before the presidential palace. It was the principal place to host the authorities coming to Brasília to watch the construction works going on. The building was designed by Oscar Niemeyer, and possesses two artworks of Athos Bulcao: a huge outdoor tiled wall and a panel in the banqueting-hall (the former dining hall).                             With 13.000 covered square meters, the hotel was projected with a length of 160 meters and 3 floors. Composed of a metal structure, it was the first construction work using steel “Made in Brazil”. In total, 905 tons of nationally produced steel were needed. The hotel also was the first in Brazil equipped with air-condition. The banqueting-hall „Athos Bulcao” received great artists like Chico Buarque, Elis Regina, Toquinho and Vinicius de Moraes. The music “Água de Beber” was performed in the hotel bar for the first time, in 1959. Half of the hotel’s capacity hosted the American Embassy for about 10 months, from May 1960 till

HOM-ing makes you feel at home.

↓ More ↓